Saturday, February 26, 2011

The Big Beaver Tavern

The Big Beaver Tavern in Troy, formally Larco's Italian Chophouse re-opened their doors in 2009 to show off their take on a sports bar meets a fine dining setting.

Known originally for their steaks & homemade pasta sauces, they have now made a name for themselves featuring bulky burgers and pub style fair.The wood grain interior remains the same, but the newest addition are the numerous flat screens in an eye shot from where ever you are seated.

The menu still holds true to their Italian roots, promoting the same beloved sauces & entree items that brought clientele to Larco's for years.

My taste buds yearned for the calamari I used to indulge in on a regular basis, having once worked there many moons ago. My curiosity lead me to order it, in hopes it had not changed.

spicy calamari- flash fried with hot peppers & white wine sauce
Photobucket

I can't say it was as great as I remember, and I was left asking myself if it was the same recipe or if my brain was playing a dirty trick on me. The sauce was not to my liking, I found the dish mediocre at best. The calamari itself was quite chewy, and the appetizer ran into the common problem with flash frying then adding sauce- the fried portion became too soggy. I asked for a side or marinara to add half way through to eat the rest, something I have never done before.


Photobucket
BBT 1/2 pound burger

Photobucket
The four alarm burger- Cajun seasoned patty with jalapeno peppers and pepper jack cheese. Served on an onion roll with habanera sauce and a side of sour cream.


Photobucket
The Black & Bleu burger-A blackened patty smothered with sauteed mushrooms and onions, then topped with bleu cheese. Served on a fresh onion roll with a pickle spear


Photobucket
French Fries


My overall recommendation- go big or go home & order the burgers.

Service is friendly, and my company was the best part of the meal. Special thanks to Big J for treating the fam :)

The Big Beaver Tavern is located @ 645 Big Beaver Rd, Troy MI
open Mon- Saturday 11:30AM-2AM
Sunday 12PM-12AM

1 comment:

  1. Picky eater- ha! I keep trying to tell Kevin he's a picky eater but he doesn't believe me- now I have proof!

    Thanks Big J...I mean moomers.

    ReplyDelete