Thursday, February 10, 2011

The Old Port Inn

Photobucket


Get to know the Old Port



Photobucket


Located on a somewhat busy 14 mile road in Clawson stands the Old Port, which kinda looks like a trailer home with some newspaper stands attached to it. Intrigued by the contents and quality inside said trailer home dinery, the Lunch Guru & her handsome sidekick stumbled in to try the grub in hopes of not catching food poisoning and or a new disease through such a dangerous experiment.

At first glance this place is like any other diner, but with a peculiar pirate flair. The tables are covered in local ads, which clearly displays their lack of effort to impress, BUT it's one of the reasons I like the strange place.

The menu is a tad boring for me, mostly because I have slightly higher standards than the average Jerry but it's more than adequate for the type of folk who frequent the diner scene. Today's specials included corned beef & cabbage, turkey dinner & a patty melt. My PMS was ragin' and I was in the mood for some beef so I carelessly ordered the MOOwich (labeled "pattymelt" on specials board). When asked how the melt was the waitress lit up and exclaimed "the are just wonderful!" She then asked me what type of soup I wanted, so between chicken rice & split pea I opted for the split of peas.

My lovely partner ordered the Reuben, but only because I insisted he order something other than what I wanted. Being the moody beotch I was at the moment he complied willingly without further issue.
Within 2 minutes of ordering the soup arrived at the table.


Photobucket


Well, the soup was most definitely home made. The pea's still had a very slight detectable crunch which would of been solved in a couple hours longer in the pot, but whatevsies. I will note however that someone in the kitchen has some excellent knife skills; the ham squares were chopped perfectly. I took about 8 bites of the soup and let her take away the rest when she brought the sandwich show stopper, but of course before she snatched it up I pocketed the crackers for my son...because I'm cheap like that and she probably would of thrown them away anyways (or at least she should of considering health code requirements).


Photobucket


I stand astounded, the patty melt was absolutely delish. It was not greasy like you would expect, just the right amount of perfectly caramelized onions, cheese was on point & the bread was toasted with just the right measure of butter on the seedless rye. Mmmmmmmmm,GYEA!

Photobucket

My partners Reuben to me looked a bit over-crouted (haha, i make funny)... but the desired level of crout in ones Reuben can only be judged in the eye of the beholder. To him, it was perfect- and that is all that matters.

The Old Port Inn is located @
278 E 14 Mile Rd, Clawson, MI 48017
Old Port Inn is open 6AM to 10PM Monday-Sunday

No comments:

Post a Comment